Monday, November 16, 2009

Chronicles of A Hypocrite

Save A Life, Don't Drink and Drive :
Friday Nov. 13th
"Save a Life, Don't Drink and Drive" says the hooptie, an old pick-up truck. I was driving home from work when I read the bumper sticker from the commuter in front of me. Wow, Filled with joy, I think there is hope. This man is convincing me with this bumper sticker, seriously! I could hug him for his noble message, or perhaps just a sticker to look more inconspicuous in the eyes of the police. Either wayI'm moved.

Saturday, Nov. 14th
I drove home under the influence of southern comfort and cranberry juice. After three glasses, perhaps 5-8 oz. of fine bourbon I felt the time for my departure was looming. My core temperature was up as was my confidence and self assurance.
"I am never going to drink and drive again." a quote from my own mouth. I have suffered losses of friends from making the same choice. I have heard report after report of casualties related to drunk drivers. I have listened to my family tell unfortunate stories of loved relatives cause damage, suffering, and injury after a few drinks. Still I drive. Blurry vision, altered mindset, and the possibility do not stop me from reversing from the parking spot.
What will It take? Prison awaits. Fines await. Injury or worse is waiting to strike like an irritated cobra. M.A.D.D is waiting for me to slip. Yet, I slip over and over. Like so many Americans facing 2nd and 3rd DWIs , We continue to make the mostly deadly choice.
I understand the consequences, But will the consequences have to carried out in order for me to truly realize.
No, My life and yours will not be endangered , I hope.

Monday, Nov 16th
More bourbon, though substantially less than before. My vision was not really affected. I was okay to drive, says the hypocrite. Sorry.
I am afraid of my 21st birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment